He is the author of multiple peer-reviewed articles on a variety of health and population related subjects, and has edited three books and several chapters. His current research interests are: Higher Education Policy in the Developing World; Professional Outmigration and impact on Homeland Development; Health Policy in Developing Countries; Public Health Approaches to Mental Health in the Developing World; Social and Kin Networks and their impact on mental and physical health and Gender differences in Aging and Development.
Associate Editor, BMC;
Reviewer for: Demography, Population Studies, Social Science and Medicine, International Journal of Epidemiology, American Economic Review, Nature and Medicine, Health Policy and Planning, Journal of Aging and Health, Journal of Bio-social Science, Journal of Human Resources, International Family Planning Perspectives, Journal of Cross Cultural Gerontology
1. Rahman M. Omar, Bennish M., Alam A. and Salam A (1988). Rapid Intravenous Rehydration by Means of a Single Polyelectrolyte Solution with or without Dextrose. J. Pediatrics, pp. 654-660, 1988.
2. Bennish M., Phillips J., Rahman M. Omar, and Azad A (1990). Hypoglycemia During Diarrhea in Childhood: Prevalence, Pathophysiology and Outcome. New England Journal of Medicine 332:1357-1363, 1990.
3. Rahman M. Omar and Menken J (1991). Age at Menopause and Fecundity Preceding Menopause. IUSSP Volume on Biomedical and Demographic Determinants of Human Reproduction,1991.
4. Klerman J. and Rahman M. Omar (1992). Employment Change and Confirmation of Health Insurance Coverage, in Health Benefits and the Workforce, U.S. Department of Labor, 1992.
5. Rahman M. Omar, Menken J. and Foster A (1992). Older Widow Mortality in Rural Bangladesh. Social Science and Medicine 34(1):89-96, 1992.
6. Bennish M., Bern C., Glass R., Rahman M. Omar, Ronsmans C. and Sniezak J (1993). Health Effects of the 1991 Bangladesh Cyclone: Report of a UNICEF Cyclone Review Group. Disasters 17(2): 153-165, 1993.
7. Strauss J., Gertler P., Rahman M. Omar, and Fox K (1993). Gender and Life-Cycle differentials in the Patterns and Determinants of Adult Health. Journal of Human Resources 28(4):791-837, 1993.
8 . DaVanzo J., and Rahman M. Omar (1993). American Families: Trends and Correlates. Population Index 59(3):350-386, 1993.
9. DaVanzo J., Rahman M. Omar, and Wadhwa K. T (1993). American Families: Policy Issues. Population Index 59(4):547-566, 1993.
10. Gertler P., Rahman M. Omar, Ashley D. and K. Fox (1993) . Determinants of Pregnancy Outcomes and Targeting of Maternal Health Services in Jamaica. Social Science and Medicine 37(2): 199-211, 1993.
11. Rahman M. Omar, Bennish M (1993). Health Response to Natural Disasters: the Case of the Bangladesh Cyclone of 1991. Social Science and Medicine 36(7): 903-914, 1993.
12. Rahman M. Omar (1993). Excess Mortality for the Non-Married in Rural Bangladesh. International Journal of Epidemiology 22(3):445-456, 1993.
13. Gertler, P., and M. Omar Rahman (1993). Social Infrastructure and Urban Poverty in Asia. Asian Development Bank, March 1993.
14. Peabody J., Rahman M. Omar, Fox K. and Gertler P (1994). Public and Primary Delivery of Health Care Services in Jamaica: a Comparison of Quality in Different Types of Facilities. Bulletin of the Pan American Health Organization 117(3):193-212, Sept. 1994.
15. Rahman M. Omar, Strauss J., Gertler P. and Fox K (1994). Gender Differences in Adult Health: An International Comparison. The Gerontologist 34(4):463-469, 1994.
16. Ronan A., Azad A. K., Rahman M. Omar, Phillips R. E. and Bennish M. L (1997). Hyperglycemia during Childhood Diarrhea. The Journal of Pediatrics, January, 1997.
17. Rahman M. Omar (1997). The Impact of Spouses on the Mortality of Older Individuals in rural Bangladesh. Health Transition Review, 7 (1):1-12, April 1997.
18. Rahman, M. Omar (1999). Family matters. The impact of kin on elderly mortality in rural Bangladesh. Population Studies53:227-235, 1999.
19. Rahman, M. Omar (1999). Age and gender variation in the impact of household structure on elderly mortality . International Journal of Epidemiology. 28:485-491, 199
20. Rahman, M. Omar (2000). The impact of co-resident spouses and sons on elderly mortality in rural Bangladesh. Journal of Bio-social Science32:89-98,2000.
21. Rahman, M. Omar and Jihong Liu (2000). Gender Differences in Functioning for Older Adults in Rural Bangladesh. The impact of differential reporting. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences 55A(1): M28-M33, 2000.
22. Rahman, M. Omar (2001). Living Arrangements and the health of older persons in developing countries: evidence from rural Bangladesh. Population Bulletin of the United Nations. Living Arrangements of Older Persons. Critical Issues and Policy Responses. Special Issue Nos. 42/43/2001, pp 330-347.
23. Rahman, M. Omar and Arthur Barsky (2003). Self-reported health among older Bangladeshis: How good a health indicator is it? Gerontologist.43(6):856-63, Dec 2003
24. Rahman, M. Omar, Menken J and R. Kuhn (2004). The impact of family members on the self-reported health of older men and women in a rural area of Bangladesh. Ageing and Society 24(6): 903-920. Dec 2004.
25. Rahman, M.O. and R. Khan (2007). “ Outmigration of Health Professionals from Bangladesh: Prospects of diaspora formation for homeland development. Asian Population Studies, Vol3, #2, pp:135-152.
1. Rahman MO and Menken J (2011). Reproductive Health. Chapter In 3rd Edition : Merson M, Black R, Mills A.,eds., International Public Health. Aspen Publisher Inc., 2010.
2. Rahman, MO (2010). The Health Impacts of Mega Cities—Dhaka—Chapter in a book entitled “Mega Cities-Public Health Challenges” to be published by the American Public Health Association in 2010.
3. Menken J and MO Rahman (2005). Reproductive Health. Chapter In 2nd Edition : Merson M, Black R, Mills A.,eds., International Public Health. Aspen Publisher Inc., 2005.
4. Rahman, M. Omar (2005). Private Universities in Bangladesh: Challenges, Constraints and Opportunities. Chapter in : Ahsan, A. and Abbasi A., eds. Education in a Rapidly Changing World: Focus on Bangladesh. Pp 110-118. Independent University Bangladesh, April, 2005
5. Rahman MO, (with Peabody J, Gertler P, Mann J, Farley D, Carter G), eds (1999). Policy and Health. Implications for Development in Asia. Cambridge University Press, 1999.
6. Menken J and MO Rahman (2000). Reproductive Health. Chapter In Ist Edition: Merson M, Black R, Mills A.,eds., International Public Health. Aspen Publisher Inc., 2000.