The primary objective of this course is to provide an overview of environmental problems, their health consequences, and policy approaches.
Topics to be covered include:
Environmental Health Problems: Water, sanitation and hygiene and the link to diarrheal and other gastro-intestinal Diseases; Air pollution sources and links to respiratory diseases; Environmental health threats in natural disasters; Chronic toxin exposure with a particular attention paid to arsenic; Tools of environmental epidemiology for risk assessment; Fundamentals of toxicology, and occupational exposures; Environmental Health Policy approaches: Regulation, safe limits of exposure; industrial accountability; Market approaches—externalities; pollution trading; congestion taxes etc.
i. Dade W. Moeller:Environmental Health: Third Edition, Harvard University Press; 3 Edition.
ii. Stephen McColl, John Hicks, Lorraine Craig and John Shortreed:Environmental Health Risk Management- A Primer for Canadians.
Course Description:The primary objective of this course is to provide a systematic approach to the study of the environment and its impact on public health, with an overview of environmental issues in both global and local context. This course will also focus on the tools and terminology used in the field of environmental science and management with discussions on possible remedies and policy approaches with respect to minimizing the risk of environmental pollution on public health.
Topics covered will include:
· Global warming, Climate Change and Human Health.
· Food safety: Issues and methods of control
· Environmental Health Policy approaches: Regulation, safe limits of exposure etc.
Attendance : 10 marks
Mid Term : 25 marks
Project: Presentation : 40 marks
Final Exam : 25 marks
***(75% attendance is required to sit for the final exam)
Suggested Reading Material:
· “Environmental Health, Third Edition” By D. W Moeller , Harvard University Press, 2005
· “Occupational and Environmental Health: Recognizing and Preventing Disease and Injury” Barry S. Levy, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006 - Technology & Engineering
· Handbook of Environmental Health and Safety : Principles And Practices by Koren, Harman Published 1999
Located: Independent University Bangladesh, Library.: General Shelf
Tutorial hour: by appointment (email works best!)